Sunday, September 13, 2015

Fluency blog 4 Toilets!!!!!

     Milo can't use a toilet. I have never seen a dog use a toilet, maybe they can, I just have never seen a dog do such a thing. I have seen cats use the toilet. That is a little weird, but very cool for the homeowner.
     I was thinking while I was cleaning the bathroom this weekend about how nice it is to have such a wonderful device in our homes. Go back just over a hundred years or so and no one had a toilet in their home. If a person had to use the restroom they would have to go to the out house. Have you ever used an outhouse? The experience is not that nice. Most out houses are dark, cold and stink. Not convenient to use and If the weather is bad you would get wet, that sucks. I am not a fan of out houses. I know that an out house is much better than nothing, but I am so happy that today we have nice indoor plumbing and toilets.
     There is some interesting history that comes with out houses. Many years ago the toilet was a common meeting place. In the days of the Roman empire, the out door type of toilet that was used had many seats. The act of "Going to the restroom" was a social event. The restroom was an outdoor area that had little benches that stuck out of a wall. Water would flow down the middle of the out door toilet to help get rid of the waste. Many people would sit on one of the many benches and socialize while doing there business. In more modern times the out house evolved to have two, three, four or more seats, or holes as they were known. An outhouse with four seats would be called a "Four holer" Just think about that experience."Crappin with Grandma", what fun.

1 comment:

  1. I must say, this is an interesting and educational post. Good work. ~Ms A.

    ReplyDelete